Friday

7 Tips on Cubicle Etiquette


Tips on how NOT to alienate your co-workers

Before I took the leap into the entrepreneurial world and started my own business, I worked in the fascinating world of technology. I say “fascinating” because there are truly very interesting, highly intellectual and well, “fascinating” people in this industry. Along with these characteristics comes a bit of eccentricity within each person and this was revealed to me on a daily basis in “cube world.”

There are all sorts of etiquette lessons on everything from appropriate dining to email communication to a hand shaking but rarely do I see anything written that highlights the etiquette of sitting in a cubicle. So, based on my profession as an image consultant and years of experience sitting in a cube, here are my do’s and don’ts to be a better cube mate. Would love to hear what your tips or pet peeves are? Comment here or send me an email at jmp@jmpstyle.com

1. Don’t pump up the volume on your PC or laptop while listening to music, a webinar or funny video that was forwarded to you.

Do use headphones so that you are not distracting to those sitting around you. It’s important to understand that your co-workers might be on an important call conducting business.

2. Don’t come to the office looking unkempt, unclean or exuding an offensive odor.

Do pay attention to good hygiene. Hygiene is usually covered in the company dress code guidelines so if you are not sure how this applies to you, ask your human resource person for a copy. However, from my experience this can include but not limited to: opting to not shower, avoiding deodorant, mouthwash or appropriate laundering of apparel. Additionally, clipping of nails whether it’s fingernails or toenails is NOT acceptable. And yes, I did have a cube mate think it was OK to clip his toenails during office hours.

3. Don’t make unnecessary noises and by “noises” I am referring to passing gas, belching or plain old tapping on your desk.

As for the “do” here, I don’t think I need to elaborate.

4. Don’t put your feet up on the furniture (i.e., desk). If we weren’t allowed to do it at home, we shouldn’t expect to do it at the office. I personally never enjoyed viewing the dirty soles of my cube mate.

Do invest in a foot rest. Some individuals may need to keep their feet elevated during the day so this would be a good option.

5. Don’t remove your shoes. While other cultures might require shoes to be removed as soon as you enter a dwelling, here in the office world, this is a no-no.

Do keep your shoes on at all times. You might get an unexpected visit from a senior manager and while you scramble to put your shoes back on, you’ve already made a negative impression.

6. Don’t shout across the floor. I was taught that if I shouted to someone located in another room, this was considered bad manners so I wasn’t allowed to do it.

Do engage in conversation with your co-workers but opt to use a meeting space or common area that will allow you to speak more freely and openly.

7. Don’t lunch loudly. Often there isn’t enough time in the day to get work done let alone take an hour for lunch so it’s common for one to eat at their desk. If this is the case, please remember what your parents taught you which is; don’t eat with your mouth open.

Do try to eat your lunch in the designed cafeteria so that are you not distracting those around your cube. Additionally, if you opt to eat at your cube, remember to throw out your lunch packing in the cafeteria. There is nothing more nauseating than lunch remains after a few hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment